It is the commitment of the municipal government to develop itself into a responsive, responsible and dynamic catalyst of change by promoting opportunities for socio-economic development and mechanisms for people’s political advancement, promoting the development of its resources through judicious and sustainable utilization as well as protect them from abuse and illegal exploitation in order to create wholesome, ecologically-balanced, peaceful and orderly environment.
A dynamic agri-industrialized municipality with sustainable resources, socially responsible and ecologically-conscious citizenry, living in a developed, wholesome, peaceful and orderly environment.
Before its creation into a municipality, Hagonoy was a sitio of barrio Digos, municipality of Sta. Cruz. Then, when the municipality of Padada was created on July 1, 1949, Hagonoy was annexed as one of its barrios. On May 28, 1953, by virtue of Executive Order No. 596 issued by President Elpidio V. Quirino, Hagonoy was separated from Padada and became a regular municipality. The first set of appointed municipal officials assumed office on July 5 of the same year. Since its creation into a municipality to date, two (2) appointed and six (6) elected mayors guided the development and destiny of the town. The appointed mayors were Antonio Go Pace (Quirino Administration) and Roman Sacedon (Magsaysay Administration). The elected mayors were: Gonzalo S. Palamos, Sr. (2 terms), Alfredo Salutillo (2 terms), Bartolome G. Hernandez, Jr. (2 terms and extended by the proclamation of martial law) Mayor Filomeno V. Surposa, was appointed as Officer-in-Charge under the Freedom Constitution after the famous EDSA Revolution and was elected into office during the election on January 17, 1988. Mayor Manuel M. Cabardo was elected in the 1992 elections but opted not to bid for reelection in 1995 which Mayor Filomeno V. Surposa was elected back to office. In the 1998 election, Mayor, Jose M. Superales, Sr. won over Ex-Mayor Filomeno V. Surposa and served for three (3) terms. The incumbent Mayor Ret. Gen. Franco Magno Calida was elected in the elections conducted on May 14, 2007 and has served for three consecutive terms. Conrado E. Laza won in the recent national and local elections conducted on May 14, 2016.
Before the acquisition of a donated four-hectare municipal hall site in Barangay Poblacion, the seat of municipal government was transferred four (4) times in different places. It was first established at Pawa (now Poblacion), then to Hagonoy Crossing, from there to Leling and finally back to Poblacion.
The present area occupied by the municipality was once upon a time the tribal domains of highlanders, the Calagans, Bilaans, and Samal Muslims. In early 1900, a group of enterprising Americans (Golleck, Walstrom, Christensen, and Cameron) acquired the coastal plains where the Calagans lived and developed the leased area into a coconut plantation.
Today, a total of twenty one (21) barangays composed the municipality, seven (7) barangays added to the original fourteen (14) barangays. Three (3) of the original barangays changed their names, Pawa was renamed Poblacion, Malinao to Lapulabao, and Upper Sacub to Lanuro. The two (2) sitios of Quezon to Polo-polo (now Clib) were elevated to barangay status. Six (6) new barangays were carved-out of the existing ones, these are the barangays of Aplaya (from Guihing), Christensen (from Hagonoy Crossing but now abolished), Mahayahay (from Maliit Digos), Paligue (from Tologan) and San Isidro (from Balutakay) and Sinayawan.
The municipal boundary between Padada was altered several times from its original version as provided for in Republic Act No. 2094, satisfying the whims and caprices of congressional leaders who party affiliation was in power. For a number of years, the recognized boundary was the natural course of the Padada (Hagonoy) River. This alteration deprived the municipality of no less than one-third of its original total number of barangays and so with their corresponding real property tax revenues.
This plantation, known as Mindanao Estate Company, became the nucleus of economic and social activities in the Padada Valley. The Americans, being missionaries from the Mountain Province recruited Igorot staff and laborers in the establishment and cultivation of the plantation. Later, as the labor force requirement of the plantation increased, pioneering Visayans were hired to augment the native farmhands. Meanwhile, a number of Japanese nationals the outlying hinterlands and cultivated the area into ramie, abaca, and coconut farms. The also engaged in commercial piggery and poultry projects. When World War II erupted these Japanese in the Itakura Farm in Guihing turned out to be soldiers of the Japanese Imperial Army. Later, more Visayans and Ilocanos other than those employed in the plantation settled and cleared the unoccupied wilderness. At about this period, Mr. Christensen separated from the Mindanao Estate Company and established the Christensen Plantation Company just across the national highway on the west.
Early settlers recalled that most of them took possession of the land they now own and cultivated through barter with work animals, sugar, tobacco and sardines with the natives. Some more invited by their relatives who were ahead of them, friends and townmates to assist in clearing and in turn shared with them the occupied area through homestead.
After the Second World War, the Japanese plantations were taken over by the American GIs and later possessed and administered by the Government through the National Fiber Corporation (NAFCO). These enemy properties were sold to the actual occupants when the Corporation was phased out.
According to account of early settlers, Hagonoy is derived from a name of vine that grew abundantly along the banks of Padada (Hagonoy) River, and nearby corn and coconut fields.